Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas Light

Happy Saturday.  It's just a week till Christmas...are you done shopping yet?

Today's project is using something I had around since last year.  I bought this block with a project in mind but never got around to doing it.

To start, I cut some snowflakes from the Art Philosophy cartridge from some cheap (yes cheap) vinyl shelf liner I got from Big Lots.  I got an entire roll for under $3.  It's great if you are going to etch glass!

I applied the snowflakes in a random pattern, hanging some over the edge.  And don't throw out the center of the snowflakes, they are wonderful small accents to add as well.


Burnish the snowflakes down using a piece of the vinyl backer paper and an old credit card.  You don't want any etching cream getting underneath.


Apply a generous amount of etching cream to the surface and let sit.  I let mine go for about 5 minutes the first time.  At the end of 5 minutes, rinse off the cream and remove your vinyl.

I etched this again so they snowflakes weren't so see through.  The second etching I left on for only 1 minute.  The snowflakes are subtle but I think next time I will not double etch.

The ornaments are from the Snow Angels cartridge and cut at 3" on printable vinyl.  I added some bows and ribbon to make them look like they were hanging.  I added a strand of lights and a ribbon to top it off.

I don't have a bowdabra and that was the hardest part of this project...making that bow!


Have a safe and happy holiday season!  And I'll see you next week for another holiday project.