Friday, September 2, 2011

Are you ready for some Football?

Labor day marks the start of the football season. Where we are, football unoffically starts in July with conditioning camp, which is totally optional but encouraged. Twice a week through July, then in August we start a 3 day a week practice, followed by 2 weeks (5 days a week) of full contact practice. Then school starts and the games begin and practice is 3 days a week until the end of October. Unless you make playoffs then count on another 3 weeks. Whew....did you count all those months? 5!!! Holy cow! The boys love it though. It's hard work but worth the rewards at the end. Last year our team won the division with an 8-1 record! Awesome!


 
This layout is about my boys. I have one that will be 12 and the other 3 both in October. I figured out that when my oldest is a Senior in High School, my little one will be starting the tradition all over again. But for now he just wants to be like his big brother. Imitates his every move....sometimes not a good thing! He certainly has big shoes to fill, thus the title of my layout.

 

 

 

 
Oh and did you notice the shirt my little guy has on? Yep, did that on my Expression with freezer paper! I have all the details here.
 
To create this layout you will need....

  1. 12 x 12 blue & white cardstock
  2. Making Memories stamp set - Giggle Kids boys
  3. Versamark ink
  4. Perfect pearls - Gold
  5. Black cardstock
  6. Football definition (I don't know where I got this from, sorry!)
  7. Cricut Imagine cartridge - Snapshot Everyday
  8. Cricut Cartridge - Sports Mania and Plantin Schoolbook
  9. Tim Holtz Distress ink in Vintage Photo
  10. Staz-on Ink in Black

 
I created the football from the Sports Mania cartridge and flood filled it with the football texture on the Snapshot Everyday cartridge. I set the size to fit to page. I selected the shadow feature of the football and cut it in white cardstock. To do this you can either choose cut only or leave it on print and cut. Since the image is white it will not print anything and feed it through to cut.

 

FYI: The Imagine will not tell you what the final size is on your image when you select fit to page so when you go to layer it doesn't always turn out. I had to trim mine for it to fit.

 

 

 
I next took some white scrap paper that would fit in the ends of the football and ran them through my cuttlebug folder using the Tim Holtz embossing folder (burlap?) and adhered them to my shadow piece just under the end for some texture. After it was together I edged it with Vintage Photo.

 

 All the photos are matted with black cardstock. I like the way the black is neutral yet makes things pop off the page! I stamped "All Star" in Staz-on on the photo.
 
The letters are cut from Plantin Schoolbook at 1.8".  The shadow is in Yellow (rgb 254, 194,51) and the top is in Blue (rgb 0, 113, 188).

  The arrangment of the pictures was all based on the photos themselves. Both had things in them I didn't want to show, so I strategically overlapped them to "crop" those parts out!

 

After adhering the football to my background paper, I stamped the stars using Versamark ink. I used perfect pearls to get them to stand out. I smeared them and needed to plan a recovery for this! Who knew it was so messy! Apparently not me!

  I placed my photos and my title and I'm almost done. Just need to add some journaling.

 
Ok, so I have given tips on my last few posts and I was feeling bad for not having one for this week, then I had an a-ha moment. This is not my idea, I saw it on a blog or video somewhere so I am not taking credit for it but I'll pass it along 'cause it's a good one!

 

 
When you are doing letters and layering them, leave your base letters on your mat. Then one by one, take the top layer off and glue to the base layer while it is still stuck to the mat. Beats trying to chase the little pieces around! See my l's at the bottom....Awesome tip!

 

 

  You'll have to excuse my mat. I know, it's filty, BUT, it's like one of those well seasoned cast iron skillets. It works great, just the right amount of sticky and I just can't throw it out. I know there is more life in it. It's even cracked on one edge and I am going to use it till it won't work anymore!

 
 
See you next week!