Saturday, August 27, 2011

Summer Cookout Invitation - It's a BBQ!

This week we are celebrating Summer Cookouts. I have made this really cute invitation using pattern paper from Best Friends and images from From My Kitchen Cricut, Don Juan and Gypsy Wanderings (Gypsy Cartridge).



The Best Friends cartridge is designed by Cosmo Cricut and one of my favorite paper lines. I just love the whimsy of the patterns. I selected the red & white cross hatch pattern that reminds me of a table cloth and a soft yellow linen pattern for my card layers. I used kraft card stock as my base.

The grill and steak are both from the Cricut From My Kitchen cartridge, page... I cut the grill at 3.25" and ran the top layer through my cuttlebug swiss dots folder. I cut the grill swirls from a flourish on the Gypsy Wanderings, one at 1.75" and the other at 1.2". I snipped off the pieces I needed and used a finger dauber to add a little black ink.




TIP!  If you don't have a cartridge with an image you need, improvise. I didn't have the cute coffee cup swirls on any of my cartridges I owned so I used a simple flourish, cut the pieces I needed from the flourish and made my own. Super simple!


I cut the steak on my imagine using shrinky dink film. Sand the one side of the shrinky dink film with sandpaper or a nail file. I used colored pencils to color. Use a heavy hand when coloring. The more color you get on the more intense it is when shrunk. I use my heat gun to quickly shrink the image, it's fast and easy. Just use your tweezers or something to hold it in place or you will be chasing it around your desk! It will also curl on you as it shrinks....don't panic...it will become flat!

You may have to play with the size. This image is also cut with a ham. I hid all the contours for the ham and cut lines on the steak. The image size was about 3" when I started. When shrunk it fit nicely on the grill.



I cut my letters from Don Juan. The "it's a" is cut at .75" and the BBQ at 1.5". I cut and colored them on the Imagine.

For the inside, print your information from your computer and place inside your card. This is fast and easy if you are making a bunch of invitations.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and for all of us affected by Irene, stay safe and dry! It is due to hit here in PA later this afternoon. Hopefully we still have electricity or I'll be scrapping old school...with sissors!


Kris